Tuskan baked fish
I fell in love with this dish because it is mostly done in the oven so I won’t get any fishy smell in my apartment. And it is delicious.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 20 min
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced (yellow or red)
1 can diced tomatoes
400 g cod, or another flaky white fish
2 tbsp capers
½ tsp basil
½ tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Important: you will need a saucepan or frying pan that is oven proof. If you don’t have one, put all your ingredients into a separate dish that is oven proof for part 4 of this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 8-10 min.
2. Add the canned tomatoes, herbs, capers, salt and pepper. Cook while stirring until the sauce has reduced a little, about 5 min.
3. You can use any sort of white fish that isn’t very fatty. My absolute favoruite fish for this is The Roughhead Grenadier or Cod.
4. Lay the fish pieces just on top of the sauce and pop the whole saucepan in the oven. Let it bake until the fish is done and flaking apart, about 8-15 minutes depending on the fish and the size of the pieces.
5. Serve immediately. This dish goes very well with pasta, potatoes or a salad.